7 Effective Tips to Remodel your Bathroom on a Budget
Planning a bathroom remodel may seem to be a daunting task. It could turn out to be a mess if handled without pre-assessment and planning. This guide will help your plan your bathroom remodel like a pro and help you create the bathroom of your dreams, within your budget and with no added stress.
- Jot down your bathroom needs: The first thing to know before you move ahead with your planning is to assess the needs of your bathroom. Make a list of things you would like to replace, rebuild or add to your bathroom. Also, know the needs of the members of your family. If you will be sharing the bathroom with your kids, you should consider the age of the kids while choosing the fixtures and fittings. Likewise, if elderly people are going to use the bathroom, you must take extra care of the texture of the flooring, lighting, and supporting bars at proper places.
- Finalize your budget: Moving without a fixed budget in mind can disorient your plan and take you into extravagant directions. Setting a budget ahead of time allows you to prioritize where you want to spend and where you can save. You can easily add a luxurious element into your bathroom by adding body sprays and panels to your shower or setting a freestanding bath. You can balance the cost of a splurge, by using other cost-effective things in your bathroom.
Make sure you leave room for practical changes in the bathroom. If your water heater is old and rusty and does not fulfill the hot water needs of your family, then investing in a tankless hot water will be a smart idea. You can plan for a water softener that will prevent limescale build up and increase the life of the tiles of your bathroom.
- Know your space well: Measure your space properly and know the accurate dimensions of the fixtures to be used in the bathroom. This will help you to find the most appropriate layout for the bathroom. Do not hesitate to ask for help from an expert to maximize the use of awkward spaces. They will provide you solutions and advise you about latest materials to enhance the look and utility of the bathroom. Checking with an expert will save you from committing expensive mistakes.
- DIY or Expert Help: Assess your remodeling project practically based on your skill level and type of work involved. This will help you decide weather you want to handle the project yourself or hire a pro. If you decide to engage a contractor, one of the first things you should check is that they are fully licensed. Also take recommendations from family and friends as license does not guarantee the quality of work. Permit requirements for electrical, plumbing, and general construction work should also be checked in advance. To minimize delays, request for permits as soon as possible.
- Try to create enough storage space: To give your bathroom a spacious, neat, and tidy feel, it’s best to keep the countertops clutter free. A spacious cabinet beneath the sink will store your supplies of tissue rolls, soaps, handwashes and other toiletries. You can fix shelves in the shower to arrange toiletries that you use daily and utilize the space above the toilet by placing shelves to store your stash of towels. You can find inexpensive shelves and cabinets at thrift and dollar stores.
- Work on the lighting: Lighting has a huge impact on the look and the comfort of the bathroom. According to a bathroom design expert, its best to use different levels of lighting in the bathroom. Low level lighting during late night bathroom trips would be comfortable for your eyes and not bother others sleeping in the adjoining room. You can also plan to install motion sensor lighting to avoid bathroom accidents at night.
- Do not forget the ventilation: Nobody loves to enter a musty bathroom with mildew on the walls. Condensation is also harmful for the wooden furniture in the bathroom. Plan for proper ventilation for the circulation of air in the bathroom to keep it fresh and clean.
Explore our wide range of bathroom fittings and fixtures to create a bathroom that suits your taste and fits your budget.